Keep Your Kids Busy with These 5 Christmas Break Activities
The holiday break is just around the corner! For many families, the holidays are usually jam-packed with events, activities, and business. While your kids are probably itching to start the break, you may be worried about how to keep them busy with two or three weeks off of school. But, fear not! Here are 5 surefire tactics to help beat winter cabin fever.
- Try indoor camping with a picnic. Take a blanket (preferably one that is washable) and spread it out on the living room floor. Make lunch together and then enjoy eating it as a family picnic-style from within the warmth of your home! This can extend into an overnight indoor camp-out, complete with living room fort. All you need are a few chairs and blankets or sheets and let your imaginations soar! This will keep your kids entertained for hours on end as they pretend it’s a fortress, a secret hideaway, or a special winter igloo.
- Make play-dough. As long as you have flour, water, and salt in the cupboard, you can make homemade play-dough and create hours of fun and creativity for your kids. If you want to take it up a notch, pull out some food coloring or vanilla extract! Not to worry if your little one ends up mistaking some for real food- it’s all natural and safe. If your kids love the idea of mixing and measuring, take this play party into your kitchen! Let your kids help you bake cookies, muffins, or pancakes. Sky is the limit! Blue and pink swirl pancakes? Why not?! Everything-but-the-kitchen-sink muffins? Sounds good to us!
- Go exploring. Bundle up the kids and prepare to hit the town! Pretend you’re a tourist and see what new treasures you can find just down the street. There are plenty of free or low cost places to visit in your town, such as the library, your local fire station (call ahead to request a tour!), or an art gallery.
- Play dress up and have a dance party. Leftover ugly Christmas sweaters from your aunt Norma? No problem! Let the kids have at ‘em and have yourself a good old fashioned fashion show. Your entryway can double as a super fabulous catwalk. Then crank up the tunes and let everyone shake their stuff to the beat. Come up with creative dances, or break into teams and have a dance-off. This one doubles as a great energy burner!
- Play board games or card games. When all else fails, don’t rule out the old board or card games. These may be old news to you, but it could open an exciting new world for your little ones. Even something as simple as Go Fish can help stave off even the most brutal winter boredom blues.
If you want to make the most out of your winter break, call Club Z! at 800-434-2582. The winter break may be just the right time to catch up on school work, or start preparing for important exams like the SAT and ACT. Reserve your tutor today!